Thursday, August 18, 2011

Round 4


Sorry it has been a while since my last post. I really haven’t known what to say. Every time I get in the mood to write something I just think no, nobody wants to hear about that and I put my computer away.
I started round four yesterday, a day late. My blood counts were too low to start on Monday so I had to get a shot of neupagin and my WBC count shot up to 11,000 so I was ready to start on Tuesday. I had to wait a little bit longer to get into the hospital because the cancer floor was full, but that gave me time to have lunch with my dad and get the nurses a special treat. I got them cupcakes from Cup Cake a La Mode on the Plaza. It was a treat they all very much deserve. The group of nurses that work on the 5th floor are truly amazing. They make my treatments and other trips as delightful as they can possibly be. If they didn’t all have the upbeat attitudes and show how much they love coming to work and taking care of us patients, then my experience wouldn’t be so positive to this point. Don’t get me wrong, I like all my doctors and they have taken great care of me, but like I said before these nurses deserve all the little goodies I bring them 100 times over. I could rave about how amazing my nurses are for multiple blogs, but I have some plans for things I can do for them and other patients in the future during my last few treatments.
There is another event at the Zoo tomorrow night. A Pint’s for Penguins event. I believe a lot of my family members and friends of the family are going to support me. This is their second event at the Zoo they have all gone too. I would like to thank everyone who is involved from the bottom of my heart. Please enjoy yourself and have a beer or two for me!
Anyways, I put the shirt idea on hold for a little while, but I am now making designs for them. My mom and I decided to make buttons which are a hit in the hospital and she plans on giving out to family and other people at the Zoo tonight, we will be making more. But I will be looking into making shirts again, because an old acquaintance from Miege and Kstate, Jerod Eller sent me a message about a lot of things, the shirts being one and he was volunteered to help me out. Good people are seriously around every corner. I have received several messages from people I haven’t spoken to in a while like Jerod, that have given me so much love and support over these trying times. I have also gotten messages from people I hardly even knew in high school and in grade school for that matter, telling me they admire my strength and courage, but I think it takes a lot of both of those traits to reach out to someone you hardly know. Especially when you are writing a letter that is not generic and has a lot of your real feelings in it. It just makes me realize how many special people are in and around our lives that we don’t even know about, you know the people that we walk by every day and smile at or wave to, but never really take the time to get to know. I think that will change for me after everything here is said and done. Wow, just thinking now that means I am turning into my father. My dad knows someone everywhere and that’s what im talking about. Talking to more people, just being a little more friendly in the gas station and at the Zoo, making a new friend every day. Well maybe ill have to start watching and learning from the pops, no pressure dad.
Well I am almost done with my 22 hour Methotrexate. I don’t have an intrathecal Chemo this round which im happy about, I love the nurses down there, go figure, but I do not enjoy the need in my spine and lying flat on my back for 4 hrs after especially while receiving Lasix to get all the unwanted fluid out of my body. Really having to pee every 45 minutes is not too much fun to maneuver when you have to lie flat. After the Methotrexate I start either 3 or 4 rounds of Carbonate, then I should be able to go. I have to wait 12 hours in between each round, Im not sure how long each round takes, but my guess is 2-4 hours. Anywho, I will try to keep you up dated a few more time before I am done with this round. I know I have a lot more to say about the last month, I just can’t think what it is right now. Also, teaching mom how to text…BAD IDEA (just kidding mom).

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Paul! I can't make it tonight at the zoo (no babysitter), but Bubba and Curtis will be there to represent.

    ReplyDelete